Google

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Unusual Names

What's in a name? Whether it has been given by well-meaning parents and relatives or decided by the individual later in life, names are important or perhaps downright hilarious.
I am glad my auntie stopped my dad from naming me "Lim Bee Hoon" (in Hokkien which sounds the same as vermicelli). I am not going to be called some noodles for the rest of my life... whew.
D and I have come across some interesting names here in HK and China. I know it's bad to laugh at those names, but frankly, I am thinking, "What are these people thinking of?"
Yeah, uniqueness and being different are two things every individual strives for, but having the following names definitely took some courage or maybe just ignorance.
Still, I wouldn't want to be associated with someone who has a weird, negative or silly image. Maybe having a totally different name, something really different will be most sensible.
The question is, should we conform to what the general public thinks are proper names. I mean, what are proper names - David, John, Peter, Mary, Jane?!? Boring siah, every other person has that name. Who determines that traditional names are proper names anyway, unless one just simply wants to play safe.
Here's a list of interesting names we have been introduced to:
1. Gun
2. Rambo (Indivduals 1 and 2 should meet)
3. Superman (really, no joke)
4. Winter
5. Windy
6. Burns (maybe from the famous poet, Robert Burns)
7. Keats (another famous poet, John Keats)
8. Sphere
9. Strong
(Latest in this colour)
This list will be updated... can't think of any others right now.
D and I have decided on the names to call our kids, when we do have them (in case, friends are reading this, we aren't having any yet...), I like the names Tyler, Aidan and Jamie, the first two are for boys and the third one for a girl. D thinks maybe we should name our kids: "Boy" (for boy) and "Girl" (for girls). Duh!!!!
And should we have a dog and a cat, D reckons it will be most funny to name the dog "Cat", and the cat "Dog".
A conversation of the following will be resulted:
Friend: "So, what do you call your dog?"
D: "Cat"
Friend: "No, I mean, your dog?"
D: "Cat"
Friend: "Uh, no, not your cat, I mean your dog."
And so the saga continues...
Sigh, I am married to a clown...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...i was being introduced to names like "Pinky" and "Man-son" before. boy... & they do like to stress e 1st syllable in their pronunciation. But nothing beats this one.... "mo-ron"!!! yes... no joke....-JiaNiang

10/03/2005 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kancheong Spider said...

I like the "mo-ron" one... my sympathies to that person with this name... poor fellow :)

10/07/2005 11:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home