Google

Monday, May 16, 2005

Spiderman & Clumsy Gecko @ Tung Lung Chau Part 2 (The Climb)

So here we were at Tung Lung Chau (TLC) ... our first outlying island visit, first outdoor climb, and first sunburnt in months.
"Just arrived - Dan (D's colleague) & D on the bedrock" As I watched Ah Jun and the expert climbers prepare the ropes and quickdraws before doing the lead climb, I could only wonder at the huge crag that loomed before me. On my far right, the waves were crashing into the rocks which dipped into the sea. A distance behind me, I could hear the sea roaring and later in the afternoon when the tide was up, we could feel the sprays of seawater when those waves really did their thing against the bedrock.
"Ah Jun preparing the rope" Frankly, this was a good learning experience as I saw how lead climb is done, and the various techniques used by the climbers on the different routes, which varied from the tough to the horrendous.
Ah Jun and his girlfriend, Sandy (who has been climbing for the past 1 and a half year) prepared 2 routes for us... the first was the easiest of all the routes there (which was still a toughie to me) whilst the 2nd was a more technical one.
"Ah Jun preparing the route via lead climb" "The Experts tackling the tougher walls" "More expert-climbers" As usual, D managed to climb both successfully the very first time, and subsequently did it more smoothly. As for me, I was still proud of the fact that I had tried to climb to a respectable height for both routes before giving up.
In a way, I agree with what Sandy said to me and that is confidence plays a crucial part in climbing. I may know what techniques to use on different holds or have the necessary muscle power to climb, but without confidence in stepping on the miserable narrow ledge or crimping on the smallest of holds, I will give up sooner than I expected.
And that was what had happened to me... the body may be willing, but the mind is weak.
Besides unlike D, I tend to do things better with practice... I may not do as well or be successful in the climb at first, but after a few tries and reflection on things gone wrong, I usually manage to get it done. What to do, slow and cautious learner... kiasi...
It was a day well spent, and although I have never felt such bad cramps in my quadriceps (having problems walking up and down stairs now), this experience to TLC is just ... WOW! I can't wait to go again, and frankly, having done an outdoor climb, it is intoxicating. I felt like I had cast out some height-phobia demons of mine on that crag, while I had the waves and sea below me.

Things never look better up there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home