Google

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Work & Hols

The thing about holidays is, no matter how long it is, it is never enough. 3 days, 1 week, 2 months, it's just never enough. Even after going overseas for some R & R, the return home is a reminder that work is round the corner.
Just when I am used to waking up any time I want, slouch right before the TV, surf the net, reading, taking my time to prepare food for dinner and having it ready when D returns home, BAM... a letter from school reminds me of the various meetings and workshops which have been scheduled from the 19th Aug till 26th Aug (0830 to 1700 almost daily), and the new academic year on the 29th Aug.
It isn't that I don't enjoy my work, I do. Besides, I need the money too, whether it's to sustain my lifestyle, another hol elsewhere, baby fund, work is the necessary evil, the means to an end. Besides I am not really the typical expat wife who has decent monthly pocket money.
Frankly, how long of an holiday is enough? Is it till I am utterly bored of the daily routine? Or perhaps when my bank a/c has dwindled to such a depth that pragmatism overtakes idealism.
I always hear people saying that they can't wait for the hols, that they need a break from work, and I must have said these things many times myself. No one says "I can't wait for Mondays"; "I need a break from holidays", although I do know of someone who is a major workaholic.
I reckon the general population need to get away from the mundane and the routine, albeit for awhile, so that we can somewhat be recharged to go through each day at work. It's like the Duracell bunny which hits the drum repeatedly until the battery needs to be replaced. Besides, each day of work will bring me closer to another holiday, and the cycle continues.
So yeah, the next holiday will be in September, the Mid-Autumn Festival which falls on Sunday and the following Monday is a public hol. And I am looking forward to waking up late...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home