Google

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Swinging Sixties & Seventies

Austin Powers would have said "GroooooVy Baby!!!" Last night, the entire school attended the Teachers' Appreciation Dinner at Aberdeen Marina, and the theme for this year was all hippies, flower power and loud colours.
Well, I am not so garang or wayang a person, although I did keep my eyes opened for any cheap tops or pants that would "belong" to that era. I guess dress-up isn't my idea of fun.
Still, it was really fun to see people who actually dressed up for the occasion - tight shirts and flared pants, aviator or round-rimmed shades, headbands of various colours, peace signs... anything that screams 60's or 70's. With the "Fei Zai" Florence the Lady In Red Check out those psychedelic headband... Hippy Mayling & "Fei Zai" (aka Gangster) Arthur Yvan & Lisebeth Yvan as "Jimi Hendrix" Hippies - Olivier & Emma The sweet 60's look
Couple of days earlier, I managed to find a black top which has nice embroidery - some rock & roll emblems and the year 1968 on the right. Well, this is as close to the 60's that I am going to get, besides it was cheap enough (HK$190) for one night and it was something that I don't mind wearing again. I thought of buying a pair of bell-bottoms, but in the end, I decided to just wear the most scruffy-looking and torn Levis that belongs to D.
A band played some good 60's and 70's rock & roll and funk. The dance floor was opened around 10pm and we had fun dancing away. But it was such a bummer when the band promptly ended playing 30 minutes later, and the karaoke session began. It would have been good if the music continued since karaoke wasn't something that most of us would do.
Functions like this, well, I attend it mainly 'cos I have to. There isn't much choice, is there? And it doesn't help that the seating arrangement has already been planned by somebody. It can't be helped that people like to be in their usual circle, it's like a support group of sorts during events such as this. Afterall, the company is important and it is good to know that the evening was well spent. I am thankful that I am seated with the hippiest this year. It was great fun and we shared a few bottles of Oz Riesling. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that it will be just as good, if not better, next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home