Google

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Spiderman & Clumsy Gecko In S'pore

We checked out Climb Asia (bouldering place in a 2-storey old shophouse @ Rangoon Road) on Monday and signed up as lifetime members (S$20 each + S$6 for use of the facility). CLIMB ASIA... the nondescript shophouse with 2 of its resident "climbers": It was a coincidence to meet my ex-colleague there who gave us some pointers on bouldering skills.
At first, I thought bouldering will be easy judging from the big pieces of handholds and footholds. But when I tried to climb the walls (some overhanging ones, straight-up walls), i realised that the handholds aren't that easy to hold... very technical stuff and I learnt quite abit from my ex-colleague and also from the falls. Here's me attempting to boulder, from the easy straights to the overhangs: D bouldered really well, and attempted to do the extremely low overhang on our 2nd visit... albeit lots of brute strength and aching muscles thereafter:
D & I will be going there again after this. I think we are really crazy over this sport... in fact, we are so crazy that we have bought climbing mags & books, a chalk bag (with a chalk ball) and I intend to buy a better pair of shoes, one which is smaller and more flexible than the Bufo Weapon I bought couple of weeks back.
I am so interested in getting the handholds and training boards (saw some on the Internet) and we talked about fixing these next time when we are back home. The apartment in HK is rented, so we can't do anything to it. Sigh.
The other day before the Toshi "died", I saw these handholds/footholds which are letters of the alphabet and numbers. Told D that if we have a kid and we fixed those alphabet & numbers handholds/footholds on our wall, I could use them to test my kid... Picture this:
Scenario 1:
Mum: "Ok, spell 'Perseverance'"
Son/Daughter will have to climb up the wall and spell the letters by touching each of them.
Scenario 2:
Mum: "What is 3 x 5 + 20 to the power of 10?"
Son/Daughter will have to work up the answer and climb the wall to touch the numbers.
D thinks I am mad...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home